News from Ex-Students
Queens Honours List Order of Australia – 2019
We offer the following Alumni congratulations on their Order of Australia awards:
Clare Martin (Class of of ’69)
Awarded OAM for her distinguished service to the people and Legislative Assembly of the Northern Territory and as a community advocate.
Clare is a former Australian journalist and politician. She was elected to the Northern Territory Legislative Assembly in a shock by-election win in 1995. She was appointed Opposition Leader in 1999, and won a surprise victory at the 2001 territory election, becoming the first Labor Party and first female Chief Minister of the Northern Territory. At the 2005 election, she led Territory Labor to the second-largest majority government in the history of the Territory, before resigning as Chief Minister on 26 November 2007.
In 2008, Clare became Chief Executive Officer of the Australian Council of Social Service, based in Sydney. In August 2010 she returned to the Northern Territory to become a Professorial Fellow in the Public and Social Policy Research Institute at Charles Darwin University.
In June 2019, she was appointed as an Officer of the Order of Australia for distinguished service to the people and Legislative Assembly of the Northern Territory, and as a community advocate.
Lisa Sweeney (Class of ‘78)
Awarded OAM for her service to broadcast media particularly to radio.
- Member, Radio Industry Advisory Panel, current
Program Leader – Radio, 2011-2018.
- Former Lead Trainer and Developer, Railways Voice Announcement Project. Australian Broadcasting Corporation
- Head of Planning – News and Current Affairs, 2006-2008
Head of Local Coverage – News and Current Affairs, 1999-2006
- Former Manager, Networked Local Radio.
- Former Talks Editor, Radio National.
- Former Manager, Regional Radio New South Wales.
- Executive Producer – News, 1990-1994.
- Producer and Presenter, 2UE, 1988-1990. Service NSW
- Director, Service Delivery Transformation, since 2018.
- Board Member, Interrelate, 2009-2016.
Nicole Bolger (nee Carson – Class of ’82)
Awarded OAM for her services to Nursing
I would like to share that my beloved sister Nikki Bolger (nee Carson), School Captain of the Class of 1982 was recognised in the 2019 Queen’s Birthday Honours for services to nursing. She was awarded the Medal (OAM) in the General Division and travelled to Canberra last month to attend the Investiture Ceremony and was presented with it by His Excellency General the Honourable David Hurley AC DSC (Retd), Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia.
My father David Carson and sisters (Simone Carson ‘84, Jacqueline Benson ‘85, Danielle Carson ’89, and Michelle Carson ‘96) are incredibly proud of the work Nikki has done and continues to do in her community of Harden and beyond. Please see a YouTube link to the Investiture Ceremony (she appears at the 40:51 mark!).
Click here to watch the Ceremony.
CONGRATULATIONS TO THESE EX-STUDENTS AND THEIR PARTNERS:
Caitlin Aquilina (Class of ’09) and Peter Bokor
Gianna Shannon (Class of ’04) & Jayce Allen
Stefanie Camden (’05) and Brendan Potts
Congratulations to Kristen (nee Kilby, Class of ’05) and Simon Hegarty, on the birth of James Peter Hegarty.
Congratulations to Emma (nee Dewberry, Class of ’02) and John Ewer, on the birth of their second daughter, Claire Frances Ewer.
We offer our sincere sympathy to the following ex-students and their families:
- The family of Penelope Hoyer (Loneragan ‘67)
- Kathryn Nowland (Bubb ’74) and Robyn Bubb (‘82) on the death of their sister, Susan Notary (Bubb ’77)
- The family of Mary Faber (Stoneman, 68)
- Frances Meagher (Soper ’73), Judith Soper (’78) and Felicity Soper (’80) on the death of their mother, Mary Soper
- The family of Frances Brodie (Tully ’63)
- Keeva Mostyn (Jones ’98) on the death of her father, Barry Jones
- Margaret Olive (McMaster ’80) and Joanne Golja (McMaster ’79) on the death of their father, Ian McMaster
- The family of Geraldine Farrar (Moore ’48)
- Colleen Bierhoff (Noonan ’80) on the death of her sister, Maureen Noonan (’73)
- The family of Judith Gillett (McMillan ’52)
- Kathryn “Coty” Farquhar (Hahn ’80), Lisa Dent (Hahn ’78) and Caroline Swan (Hahn ’85) on the death of their father, William (Bill) Hahn
- The family of Anthony (Tony) Bolger – Eldest son of Murray & Barbara Bolger (Roche 1916); brother of Margaret Sykes (Bolger ’48); brother-in-law to Ann Maree Bolger (Chatfield ’52) and Mary Bolger Roche (O’Brien, ’55); father of Mary-Louise Bolger (’80) and Emma Gibson (Bolger ’82); grandfather of Eliza Bolger (’08), Kathleen Bolger (’11), Grace Gibson (’13) and Lucy Gibson (’17); uncle of Mary-Ellen Taylor (Sykes ’77), Julia Bolger (’78), Nicole Bolger (Carson ’82), Catherine Bolger (’84), Lucy Burt (Roche ’84), and Bernadette Eastham (Sykes ’86); and grand uncle to Lucy Taylor (’06), Maddie Sykes (’12), Sally Roche (’13), Sophie Roche (’13), Olivia Taylor (’14), Molly Carter (Yr 12 2020), Claudia Sykes (Yr 12, 2020) and Georgia Sykes (Yr 9, 2020)
- The Family of Patricia Mellick (O’Donoghue ’45), mother of Katherine Oriti (Mellick ’76); Margaret Mellick (’77); Elizabeth Mellick (’79); Josephine Mellick (’81), sister of Joan Carmody (O’Donoghue ’47); aunt of Sue Meagher (Carmody ’75) and Lisa Bartalesi (Carmody ’78) and sister-in-law of Diana Beckley (Mellick ’45)